Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Week Five: Building Base Knowledge

Assignment 1

I've found that NPR's site is informative and intersting without being cluttered with other distractions. It would not be my first go-to place, I think of it more as an occasional supplement when I remember to go there. I also looked at Daily Beast, which had too much other things not book related that took my attention away. Many of our customers ask for books they've heard on NPR, so I have used it as a resource before to figure out titles.

Assignment 2

Overall, hands-down, EarlyWord really is the best librarian site. I've been using it for about three years now, so it's an ingrained habit. The lists are great, but I love the pre-pub news and usually wind up placing holds on books they say are good or have the potential to be big. Being in the know is crucial at Pikesville. Our customers like a mix of commercial best sellers and both literary fiction and nonfiction. I always skim-read the NY Times Book Review as well as their bestseller list. The BCPL Hot Titles list is crucial for RA here; people swear by it to do advance ordering. I knew about Indie Next but had "forgotten" about it. I'll have to remember to visit the site more regularly. Entertainment Weekly is also a favorite source for me.

Assignment 3

Night Film, by Marisha Pessl is highly anticipated not because of what it is about, but because the author's first book was such a critical success. Pessl published Special Topics in Calamity Physics in 2006 and has not published since. Readers expect well-crafted fiction with a smart, snappy writing style and large doses of obscure intellectual literary references.

No comments:

Post a Comment